February 14, 2013

Songs about love


I’ve been seeing a lot of Valentine’s Day playlists around the interwebs these last few days. They’re all very nice. But if I might speak freely for just a minute, most of these lists are pretty one-sided. You know, songs to listen to while you canoodle with your dearest.

But there are SO many love songs out there, and the great majority of them aren’t that happy at all. Love can take all sorts of incarnations. And on this day that’s all about Love, I think we should take some time to recognize it in all its strange, thrilling, and very often painful forms. Here we go.

Love when you’re distraught over a break-up
“Song for the Dumped” – Ben Folds Five



Unrequited love
“Look Around” – Beat Happening



How could you do this to me?! love
“You Can’t Do That” – The Beatles



In love with a manic pixie dream girl
“Nitemare Hippy Girl” - Beck



What's our relationship status? love
“How Can I Be Sure” – The Young Rascals



Rough patch love
“Our Anniversary” – Smog



You're the most amazing person ever love
“I Only Have Eyes for You” – The Flamingos



No comments:

Post a Comment