February 7, 2013

Good and Good For You: Salted Date Caramel Sundaes




Most of my ideas come up in one of two places: Outside walking Charlie or in the shower. Neither one is really good for writing anything down, so I usually have to just keep thinking about it until the walk/shower is over and I can jot myself a note. The date caramel sauce idea came up in the shower when I was thinking about no-bake desserts, and I was so excited it didn’t even really seem worth it to stick around and finish washing my hair (but I did, don’t worry).

The sauce is super easy to make and is REALLY delicious warm on top of vanilla ice cream. But since the recipe makes a big jar, I’ve been finding other ways to use it, too: In place of honey in smoothies, swirled into oatmeal, or spread onto toast with some butter. DELICIOUS. Please get yourself some dates and make this right away.

Salted Date Caramel Sundaes

14 medjool dates, pitted
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Vanilla ice cream (I used coconut milk ice cream, so this really was a healthy-ish dessert)
Salted, roasted peanuts, chopped (preferably skin-on)

While you pit the dates, boil a kettle of water. Place the dates in a heat-proof bowl and pour enough boiling water to cover. Cover the bowl and let the dates soften for 10 or 15 minutes. Drain the dates and reserve the liquid.

Put the dates in a food processor with the coconut oil, salt, and vanilla. Add a half cup of the reserved liquid and process, adding more liquid as needed to form a thick sauce. Taste to see if it’s salty enough to your liking. If not, add more salt, a pinch at a time.

To make the sundaes, put a scoop of ice cream in a dish. Top with a spoonful or two of the sauce (it’ll still be warm from the soaking liquid) and a handful of chopped peanuts.

Transfer the leftover sauce to a jar (you’ll have a good amount) and store, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment